If you’re aiming to update the content on your website regularly (say once a week), it can be tiring trying to think up new things to write about. Don’t worry though, there’s an infinite amount of things you can post, these are just a few inspirational ideas to get you started:
TOP TIP: Make it a habit to look at everything you do, see, hear or read and ask yourself ‘would my target audience want to know about it?’ If it’s not worthy for your website, could it be a good fit as a status update or link on your social media platforms?
- There’s a new event coming up that you believe others would be interested in attending. Feature it. Or, if you’re hosting it, write an article on why people should go.
- What do people most ask about your company or service? Perhaps write a ‘Top Tips’, ‘Guide To’, ‘Ten of the best’ post inspired by the most frequently asked questions that your customers ask.
- Respond to a story in the newspapers. By having an opinion, you will stand out from others and be noticed. Establish your organisation as an authority.
- Do you have a new product or service? Tell people about it.
- Are you discontinuing a product or service? People will want to know.
- Do you have any upcoming price changes? It is important that you let people know.
- Is your office closing due to a special occasion? For example, a Bank Holiday or Christmas? Let your customers know. If you’re staying open, people will need to know too!
- What’s going on in your company? Did someone at your company get a mention in the newspaper? Did someone review on of your products or services? Write about it.
- Got something to give-away? Perhaps a short course or a product? This is a great way to increase traffic to your site. You could even use it as a way to get more details from your users by asking for certain information as a condition of entry. In the same way, you can help spread awareness of your website by asking people to share your content across their social media networks.
- Need more staff? Make sure you’re promoting the fact on your website.
- Is your industry undecided on a certain topic? Why not write a blog post on it and invite others to comment.
- Create a regular feature – for example, every week or month consolidate relevant industry news on your website.
- Write a book review that’s relevant to your industry.
- Ask someone else to write a guest-post for your website.
- Add an interview – many people love to be interviewed and you can make this as long or short as you wish. You can do a simple Q&A, or even a video or podcast.
- Attend an event that’s relevant for your industry and review it. Was it worth going to? Who was there? What were the 5 main points you took from it?
- Profile a company or individual who’s relevant to your industry. Make sure you send them the link too so they can share it with their contacts. Maybe they could even link to their site to yours?
If you’re hard-pressed for content ideas, or don’t have time to find news related to your industry, set up a Google Alerts for a couple of your industry keywords and have stories delivered straight to your inbox. You can use these as inspiration for your next article, respond to them via your website or round them up into a consolidated page.
Got an idea that you’re keen to write about? Before you start, read this – ‘How to Write Your Blog Post.’ >